Average Reading Time: 3 min 10 sec
We usually use yellow or green zucchini for our pasta, as these are soft and make the most enjoyable texture. Here are a variety of vegetables you can use to make a “noodle” base for your sauces:
- Zucchini, use a Spiral Slicer or mandolin
- Red or golden beet, peeled then spiraled in the Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer or using smallest blade on Paderno spiralizer
- Large carrots, peeled then spiraled in the Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer or using smallest blade on Paderno spiralizer
- Medium celery root, peeled then spiraled in the Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer or using smallest blade on Paderno spiralizer
- Yam, peeled then spiraled in the Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer or using smallest blade on Paderno spiralizer
1. Place the vegetable of your choice on the spiralizer:
- Joyce Chen Spiral Slicer makes skinny “angel hair” noodles. You will need to cut the zucchinis in half before placing them in the slicer, and cut off both ends.
- A Mandolin with a julienne blade makes long skinny noodles (Vegetable peeler or julienne peeler can also be used). Run the zucchini on all four sides across the mandoline slicer on the 1/8″ julienne setting, and slice the zucchini until you reach the seeds in the middle, then stop (the seeds will cause the noodles to fall apart).
- Paderno Slicer makes larger, spaghetti like noodles. Place the vegetable between the clamps and spin.
2. Cut the noodles to an easy to eat length, then put them in a glass bowl and gently toss with 1 tsp. Himalayan salt. Let them marinate for 15 minutes (while you make your sauce). You can place them in between paper towels to bring out some of the excess moisture, or you can lay them in a colander or strainer. Drain and serve.
3. You may opt to warm your dish in a dehydrator set at 135º for 1 hour before serving. This will take out any excess moisture.
Article By Elaina Love, Faculty Member here at the BodyMind Institute
Elaina Love's Raw Chef Certification
Elaina's Website: https://elainalove.com/
Elaina's Live Classes: http://purejoyplanet.com/