What You Need To Know About Food Combining By David Wolfe
Q&A with leading Health Expert and BodyMind Visionary David Wolfe
Question: Why is food combining important, and what are some tips to follow?
Join Our Free Newsletter & E-Courses
Get instant access to the latest health, fitness, career, business and education news. PLUS receive free e-courses, webinars, specials and more!
Answer: The original Food Combining system was outlined by Dr. Herbert Shelton. It was designed to help very sick people become healthy. It was not designed to make healthy people with healthy digestion into superheroes.
Some important points about Food Combining are as follows:
- Avoid combining starchy cooked food (potato, rice, bread, etc.) with high protein food (meat, fish, etc.). The typical sandwich is a classic bad food combination.
- If you are eating cooked starchy foods, have that alone with a green salad.
- If you are eating cheese (raw or cooked), have that alone with a green salad.
- If you are eating a high protein food, have that with a green salad.
- Avoid mixing cheeses with starches (e.g. baked potato with sour cream)
- If you are eating avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds, ideally have them with a green salad or vegetables.
- If you have weak digestion, avoid high fiber vegetables (Russian kale, chard) and instead select less fibrous green vegetables (lettuce, bok choy, etc.)
- Avoid eating fruit after a meal due to the potential of fermentation and gas. Occasionally, some people enjoy eating citrus fruit after a meal. This can work, as citric acid can improve digestion.
- If you suffer from excessive flatulence, simplify your diet and food combinations until you figure out what is aggravating your system.
- Healthy unpasteurized fermented foods (sauerkraut, kim chi) can assist the digestive cascade and begin to improve the internal digestive terrain.
- Food combining rules do not apply to raw nutrition in the same way as cooked nutrition. After years of building digestive strength and eating raw foods, one can become more lenient with food combining strategies.
- Superfood smoothies: Start out simple. Mix two or three superfoods (cacao, maca, goji berries) with your normal smoothie base.
- Herbalism: One should give deference to ancient herbal combination strategies. The ancient systems were arrived at through practice and intuition, and traditional herbal formulas should be observed with respect.
Observing proper food combining saves you energy as it decreases digestive distress. Proper food combining helps to immediately put order into a world of dietary chaos and is a very important step in one’s dietary evolution.